These are our general guidelines for a happy healing process. Your artist may provide you with additional instructions as needed. if you have any questions at all during your healing process, don't hesitate to call! We're here to help you heal your tattoo as cleanly as possible!
Always wash your hands before removing your bandage to wash your new tattoo.
Remove your bandage after you return home (do not leave your bandage on for more than four hours).
Using only your fingers (do not use washcloths, loofahs, etc.), wash the tattooed area with warm water and an antibacterial soap (we recommend Dial Antibacterial Soap).
Make sure to wash until the tattooed area is no longer slimy to the touch (slime is plasma... plasma makes scabs... scabs are bad!).
Pat dry (do not rub) with a clean, unprinted paper towel and allow to air dry for just a minute or two.
Apply a very thin layer of Aquaphor or Coconut Oil to the tattooed area. If you can physically see ointment built up on the area, you have applied too much. Just pat off excess with a clean paper towel.
Repeat washing process up to four or five times during the first seven days of the healing process. Always repeat washing process if your tattoo is exposed to dirt or heavy sweating.
After the first week you may reduce washing to two or three times a day and begin moisturizing with an unscented, alcohol free lotion (We recommend Curel Lotion).
Things to avoid:
For the best healing experience and to ensure a life-long-beautiful tattoo, avoid the following:
- DO NOT allow blood or plasma to dry on your tattoo!
- DO NOT scratch or pick at your tattoo at any point during the healing process!
- DO NOT re-wrap your tattoo with a bandage unless otherwise instructed by your artist.
- DO NOT go swimming, hot-tubbing, or take long soaks in the bath for two weeks. If you must do so, keep your tattoo completely out of the water and avoid direct sun exposure.
- DO NOT use regular body wash or soap on your tattoo until it is fully healed.
- DO NOT use Neosporin or other first-aid antibiotic oinments.
- AVOID overexposure to sun.
- AVOID loofahs and washcloths in the shower.
- AVOID towel drying your new tattoo.